Nicknames (or Usernames) are unique identifiers that refer to a specific account. These usernames may be used across multiple Atelier 801 games, as well as the forum. Players with a * in front of their names are guests, and cannot speak.
While most people refer to these as "usernames", they are officially referred to add "nicknames" by Atelier 801 staff.
Nicknames originally could only contain simple non-accented letters, but now may also contain numbers and underscores (there's a limit to underscores allowed, but this limit is increased when using a name change).
Why does this person have a + before their name?Edit
In 2013 Extinction / Atelier 801 accounts were merged (see timeline below), and Extinction accounts had a "+" add before their names to avoid duplicate account issues.
It is not possible to have a + added before your name, as this only happened during the merge. And since you cannot add "+"s to usernames manually, it is impossible to replicate with new account creation.
Changing your NicknameEdit
Unlike your account which is unique and contains data about you, your nickname is just a visual indication of who you are, and as such may be changed. This will cost 1500 Fraise, and can be done on the Account Management page on the atelier801 website. This can only be done once every 3 months. You can not use nicknames from inactive account, but you can use nicknames you've already owned before (encase you wish to use one you previously had). You must validate your account via email (to prevent someone with access to your account changing your nickname easily); a walkthrough can be found here.
If name changes are deemed to be inappropriate (containing insults, racial/homophobic slurs etc...), it will be reverted without being refunded.
Before the release of the name change update, it had been a highly sought after update that had been asked for repeatedly. After many requests it was initially promised for release in 2015, but was postponed does to the 2016 Transformice adventure system, Dead Maze, and other updates. The name change update was made available to mods an admins the weeks before release for testing.
- 22 July 2016 - Name change update released. Nicknames may also now contain underscores (_).
- 24 September 2015 - Account can be linked to Run for Cheese.
- 30 May 2015 - Nicknames may now contain numbers. This update also brings an official announcement of a planned name-change feature (although this was a planned update from 2013 due to Extinction accounts being renamed due to Community platform updates).
- November 2013 - Bouboum added (first game to allow you to connect with your Transformice account).
- ~2013 - Extinction / Atelier 801 accounts merged as part of Community platform updates. Extinction accounts had "+" added in front of them to avoid problems with duplicate accounts. Account made after this point cannot obtain a "+" in front of them.
- 1 May 2010 - Transformice added (with a separate account system from extinction).
- ~2008 - Extinction added
- The name change update was the first non-Transformice application of Fraise.